Saturday, March 8, 2014

Echoes of Mercy by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Echoes of Mercy    -     By: Kim Vogel Sawyer
I was reminded of the show "Undercover Boss" as I read this book.  I like that show and how it shows bosses who are willing to lower their status a bit in order to get a more realistic view of the employees and all they have to endure during a typical workday.  I like how it opens the boss's eyes and reminds them that the people who work for them are humans, too.

I saw this same thing in this book, except it's at a chocolate factory.  Ollie wants an inside look at how his future company runs. However, he knows that in order to gain a true understanding of the inner workings of the company, he has to go undercover as a janitor.  I liked how he could humble himself to do work that pride can sometimes be a hindrance in.

In doing this job, he becomes friends with Carrie.  Carrie is educated and I like to think that she helps to push Ollie in his future job.  She definitely didn't shy away from giving him plenty to think about when it came to how she thinks a company should be run!

I liked Carrie's passion for children in need and her strong desire for them to have more and be more.  She wanted them to have a chance at education and I thought she never lost that focus.

The book really highlighted how much we take education for granted today. To imagine my children working in a factory, even at their young age, is sad.  I can't imagine throwing them out into that kind of setting so young.  I was grateful that she reminded me again of just how far we have come in the realm of education.
 
_________________
I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment