The more I read by Ann Shorey, the more I enjoy her books. I feel like each one gets better and better in this Sisters at Heart series.I am impressed with the characters in this book and how they fit into the historical context of right after the Civil War. I really enjoy history and trying to imagine myself back in those days. Times weren't easy and I can't even imagine how it would be for someone who has relied on servants their whole life and suddenly, they have to do it all for themselves. I've thought often how easy it would be to feel useless at times, with no house to clean and no meals to make.
This is exactly where the reader finds Cassie. Instead of feeling sorry for herself, though, she is determined to prove that she can get a job and provide for her mother. I like how convincing she is to Jacob West, the grocer, about how he should give her a chance at this job.
I was a little perturbed at her mother when she wasn't supportive of her daughter getting a job so they could not be homeless and have a place they could call "home.". I had to keep reminding myself that these were different time and they didn't work. However, it was hard to imagine not working when you need a place to stay and food to eat!
I felt this book was such a good story and full of encouragement. It was a positive book to read and I couldn't help but want Cassie to do well at this job and or her to be given a chance to prove herself. I liked her courage at a time when what she had to do wasn't popular. Beautiful story during a trying time.
___________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




1 comments:
Thank you so much for your review of Love's Sweet Beginning, Megan! I'm so glad you enjoyed Cassie's story. Blessings!
Post a Comment