
I like all of the books I have read so far by Deeanne Gist. She is a gifted author who knows just the right details to share with readers. I liked this book in particular for that reason. Based on Chicago's World Fair in 1893, there was a lot of history to be sifted through. She gave the reader the history facts, but intertwined with fiction. At the end, she tells you what she made up, what was real, and the historical facts that fills in the pieces that helped to lay the foundation for her story.
I did not know much about the World Fair except for one other fiction book I've read recently that included it as their storyline. I was excited to learn a little bit more about it. What set this book a part from most are the pictures that were included in the book. I found that fascinating. She showed different pictures from the World Fair. I thought that was a great idea and it's something that other author's should consider when they are writing historical fiction. It really helped to envision the environment and helped set the tone.
I liked Cullen and I felt bad for his girlfriend and how he just wouldn't set the date for their wedding. I know that it just probably never felt right to him, but I did feel bad that she was kind of dismissed. Della grew on me. I didn't like how she sent Cullen on a hunt from the very beginning, but I understood why. When I look at the times, especially, I'm sure it was rare for a girl to be alone like that in such a big place.
If you are a historical fiction reader, be sure to add this one to your list. You might as well read all of her other books too!
___________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment