Friday, May 31, 2013

The Well by Stephanie Landsem

The Well   -     
        By: Stephanie Landsem
I like the cover of this book.  I think it fits perfectly with the story itself and the darker colors seem to  fit the emotions of the woman at the well.  It's in humble colors that are not very bright and the woman is not in clear focus.

The woman at the well is a fascinating story in Scripture and I liked how well this book depicted that scene.  I had forgotten how often the children are held responsible for the sin of the parents, whether they were guilty of the sin or not.  For some reason I remembered it in the Old Testament, but forgot of that in the New.  Seeing Nava stoned and not forgiven by those who should have been the first to forgive was sad.  It always makes me mad when I read of those who were "religious and followed laws" instead of Christ and His teachings.  Then I remind myself that I have the whole Scripture and they didn't, so who knows what I would have thought had I been there.

I wanted to reach through the pages of the book to help Mara.  It was hard to watch her struggles, knowing that someone should help her!  I was glad when she found Jesus because then I knew she'd have all she ever wanted and/or needed.  

Stephanie Landsem turned this beautiful story into a journey where the readers get to imagine what the woman at the well was feeling and perhaps some of her thoughts/feelings/struggles.  She takes you through the scriptures and writes a book based on a true biblical account.  It was fun to think about a woman that I so often read about and never stop to think about or ponder on.  Her life dramatically changed when she met Jesus and how fun it was to think about that transformation and excitement!
_________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment